The League is proud to announce the renaming of its scholarship program to the Jim Sable Environment & Conservation Education Scholarship, in honor of its founder.
Jim recognized that education came before anything else. He would always ask his students if they had gotten their homework done, asked about the grades, and encourage them to succeed academically. As a student mentor, Jim felt that it was his duty to ensure that nothing interfered with students’ academic progress.
With over 50 years of experience as a firearms safety instructor, Jim has also long recognized the importance of hunting, outdoor shooting sports, and other outdoor activities. He has always championed the symbiotic relationship between conservation funding and outdoor shooting sports activities, and that hunters and outdoor shooting sport enthusiasts are the best stewards of our environment. It is with that relationship in mind that the League’s scholarship program was established.
Fifteen (15) $1,000 scholarships are available to high school seniors who participate in the League and plan to further their education with an eye towards an environment, natural resources, and/or conservation-related career.
The number of scholarships available in 2020 were reduced due to participation levels and budget allowances.
Applicants must meet the following criteria to apply, and are eligible to receive ONE scholarship award if selected.
- Be a member of a team participating in the current spring season of a state high school clay target league in the USA High School Clay Target League, AND
- Be a high school senior graduating in the current school year, AND
- Demonstrate an interest in pursuing a career related to the environment, natural resources or conservation, AND
- Adhere to all school district rules, policies and requirements concerning student activities including, but not limited to, attendance, conduct, scholastic standing and other eligibility requirements, AND
- All required documentation must be submitted or postmarked no later than May 15, 2020.
Examples of career paths related to conservation or the environment include (but are not limited to): Game Warden/Conservation Officer, Environmental Sciences, Conservation & Environmental Law, Conservation & Environmental Research, etc.
An independent scholarship committee selected by the USA High School Clay Target League reviews all applications and selects recipients.
Recipients are chosen from all applications based on their academic accomplishments, contributions to their team, involvement in school activities and their community, – without regard to family financial circumstances, college choice, gender, race, ethnic origin, or religious preferences.
Recipients of the scholarships will be announced on the League’s website on June 1, 2020.
The application deadline has passed. The 2021 application will be available during the 2021 Spring Season!